Thursday, April 09, 2009

CBC's Red Pride and Prejudice

MWC: Not long ago, I would have been happy to speak out in defence of the CBC. I grew up with CBC and always considered it one of the superior broadcasters in the western world.

I should also say that I have supported virtually every cause Avaaz has taken up in recent times.

But I lost all inclination to defend CBC once it became clear that this once proud and independent broadcaster had sold its soul and become a shameless mouthpiece for the Beijing government, suppressing information about the persecution of Falun Gong and Tibetans, and even going so far as to serve in the role of a Beijing agent in broadcasting vicious defamatory material supplied by Beijing against the Falun Gong community in Montreal.

Having witnessed that shameful spectacle, and also watched CBC click its collective heels and then koutou and grovel at the feet of the Beijing dictators in order to ensure preservation of the contract for Olympic coverage (I refer to the withdrawal and then drastic revision of the independently produced documentary “Beyond the Red Wall”), as far as I am concerned the CBC is on its own. Let it look to Beijing for support and sympathy.

Clive Ansley
Courtenay, BC

OLYMPIC WATCH: Human Rights in China and Beijing 2008

No comments: